。。。。。。。。。。Photobucket 。。。。。。。。。。

Thursday, September 30, 2010

It's been bao crazzzyy!!

Finally I tried out Maangchi's recipe of steamed pork buns. XD Was very very excited to start making them since after I have not been touching dough for like ages.. My mum and I used to make bao before when I was young.. I really enjoyed the soft warm texture of the dough, but I must say, I'm kind of sick with the smell of the yeast.. it smells really sour and bit like alcohol? lolx.. So yea here's my experience of making my own first bao from scratch XD

Happily went to get all the ingredients needed to make the bao and even the steamer metal stand.. had to use my rice cooker to steam instead, coz I don't happen to have the big steamer for bao... and so I got ready all the ingredients and started to measure them and putting them unto a big glass bowl.. I portioned Maangchi's recipe into 2, and so am expecting to make 8 bao altogether, as her's makes 16 =D. Then I knead the dough and let it rest for almost an hr.. am really happy to see the dough has risen and doubled in size.. however the smell of the yeast started to get my attention.. hmmm.. smells really strong.. lolx.. then was bit worried, didn't know what to do, and so I just continued the process of kneading it and letting it rest again..

Saute all my vegetables and pork and was ready to form my bao.. the dough was not as soft as I thought it would be.. >< but I still continue making them .. GOSH! It's not as easy as I thought it would be! It's difficult to make the pretty folding, just like how the mama in "Cookingwithdog" made it.. probably it was coz of my dough which wasn't soft and therefore difficult to make the bao shape.. then after forming them into the "almost looks like bao" shape ><!, then i steam them.. 

=X what a pity it was, the bao looks ok after steaming it, but the yeast just tasted too strong and was almost inedible.. T.T oh well that goes for my 1st attempt.. So I called my mummy and asked her what was wrong with my bao .. sobs.. she laughed at me >=(, she said " I told you so!" she told me to follow her recipe and that should be enough to come up with a tasty looking bao..  I know Mum's recipe is always the best!! XD haha and yea I tried her recipe today, ingredients was almost the same except with the amount of yeast and flour used. Am not quite satisfied with it as the filling was not tasty.. but as they say, practice makes perfect!  I must say I'm sick with eating bao already XD ! Gonna just have homemade siew mai for dinner tonight =D! 

this is my first attempt which I've made last night.. I know the left one looks weird XD
 made this one today hehe.. looks a little bit better already.. 
 and soo.. 5 little babies ready to go into the steamer.. XD 
 tada! and so the outcome was this! hard boiled egg just makes the bao even yummier! hehe
with the remaining dough, I tried making one Hoddeok ( Korea sweet pancake), which is one of Korea's most popular street food.. The original filling is cinnamon and brown sugar.. ran out of cinnamon so I use mozzarella cheese instead  ^^ Is indeed yummy but can't eat a lot of it.. 
just had gyoza for breakfast.. after watching Cookingwithdog, I then know the proper way of cooking them ^^ 
finally! I make a beautiful tamagoyaki! XD its rolled omelette like the ones in the japanese restaurant..
  strawberries crazzie!! XD they're in season now! yummy! see how big and red they are?XD 

Alrights got to start making my siew mai now and then start studying again! Busy busy!  =D

Wish Dear is here to finish all the food for me ><!

Signing off~<3

No comments:

Post a Comment